Phone: +47 22 00 47 23 /
Håkon is trained as an environmental economist and political scientists and works on a range of issues relating to climate policy
His around 30 peer-reviewed publications cover a range of topics within the realm of climate policy, including public attitudes to climate policy instruments, right-wing populism, individual behavior, explaining cross-country variation in climate ambition levels, minilateral climate cooperation (climate clubs), and the Paris Agreement.
He currently leads two international research projects:
- Socially Just and Politically Robust Decarbonisation (JUSTDECARB)
- Right-Wing populism and the Political Feasibility of Climate Policy (POPCLIM)
Methods he uses include surveys, behavioral experiments, agent-based modeling, and content analysis.
He has also contributed to five reports commissioned by the Nordic Council of Ministers as inputs to the Paris Agreement negotiations.
Håkon has been employed at CICERO since 2007. For a period, he also worked part-time at the University of Oslo. He holds a Ph.D. in political science from the University of Oslo, an MSc in Environmental Change and Management from the University of Oxford and a BSc in Environmental Policy with Economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Centre for International Climate and Energy Policy (CICEP) CICEP is one of three centres for social science based research on environment-friendly energy established by the Research Council of Norway in 2011.
- Sustainable Edge: climate risk assessment for companies The Norwegian real estate company Entra is the first company in Norway to have its revenues, investments and governance structure assessed in shades of green or brown in line with the updated Shades of Green methodology. The methodology has been developed in the ‘Sustainable Edge’ project in cooperation with leading Norwegian financial institutions, CICERO Shades of Green and ENOVA (the Norwegian public energy enterprise).
- AVIATE: How can aviation contribute to a low-carbon society? The AVIATE (Aviation in a low-carbon society) project will provide better understanding of the climate impact of aviation, both for Norway and globally, and explore options for reducing that impact.
- JUSTDECARB JUSTDECARB aims to contribute knowledge on how climate change can be made socially just and politically robust.
- POPCLIM This project seeks to understand the relationship between right-wing populism (RWP) and opposition to climate science and policy, and to identify climate policy options that are politically feasible even in electorates inclined to support RWP.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Marianne Aasen, Håkon Sælen, 2022 Right-wing populism and climate policies: Explaining opposition to road tolls in Norway Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, EN
- Todd Cherry, Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, Stine Aakre, 2021 Can the Paris Agreement deliver ambitious climate cooperation? An experimental investigation of the effectiveness of pledge-and-review and targeting short-lived climate pollutants Environmental Science and Policy, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2021 Public support for air travel restrictions to address COVID-19 or climate change Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, EN
- Håkon Sælen, 2020 Under what conditions will the paris process produce a cycle of increasing ambition sufficient to reach the 2°c goal? Global Environmental Politics, EN
- Vegard Tørstad, Håkon Sælen, Live Standal Bøyum, 2020 The domestic politics of international climate commitments: which factors explain cross-country variation in NDC ambition? Environmental Research Letters, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Jon Hovi, Detlef Sprinz, Arild Underdal, 2020 How US withdrawal might influence cooperation under the Paris climate agreement Environmental Science and Policy, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Vegard Tørstad, Christian Holz, Tobias Dan Nielsen, 2019 Fairness conceptions and self-determined mitigation ambition under the Paris Agreement: Is there a relationship? Environmental Science and Policy, EN
- William Brazil, Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, James Carroll, 2019 The role of fuel cost information in new car sales Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, EN
- Radoslav Dimitrov, Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2019 Institutional and environmental effectiveness: Will the Paris Agreement work? Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change (WIRESs), EN
- Jon Hovi, Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2019 Climate Clubs: a Gateway to Effective Climate Cooperation? British Journal of Political Science, EN
- Vegard Tørstad, Håkon Sælen, 2018 Fairness in the climate negotiations: what explains variation in parties’ expressed conceptions? Climate Policy, EN
- Leif Helland, Jon Hovi, Håkon Sælen, 2018 Climate Leadership by Conditional Commitments Oxford Economic Papers, EN
- Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, Jon Hovi, 2018 The effectiveness of climate clubs under Donald Trump Climate Policy, EN
- Todd Cherry, David M. McEvoy, Håkon Sælen, 2017 Conditional cooperation and cultural worldviews Economics Letters, EN
- Jon Hovi, Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2016 Climate Change Mitigation: A Role for Climate Clubs? Palgrave Communications, EN
- Detlef Sprinz, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, Steffen Kallbekken, Frans Stokman, Håkon Sælen, Robert Thomson, 2016 Predicting paris: Multi-method approaches to forecast the outcomes of global climate negotiations Politics and Governance, Cogitatio, EN
- Håkon Sælen, 2016 Side-payments: an effective instrument for building climate clubs? International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Torgeir Ericson, 2013 The recreational value of different winter conditions in Oslo forests: A choice experiment Journal of Environmental Management, EN
- Hege Westskog, Håkon Sælen, 2013 A multi-method evaluation of the potential for using the electricity bill to encourage energy savings in Norwegian households Energy and Environment Research, Canadian Center of Science and Education, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2013 ‘Nudging’ hotel guests to reduce food waste as a win-win environmental measure Economics Letters, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, Erlend Andre Tveiten Hermansen, 2013 Bridging the Energy Efficiency Gap: A Field Experiment on Lifetime Energy Costs and Household Appliances Journal of Consumer Policy, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Hege Westskog, Einar Strumse, 2012 Values, attitudes, and pro-environmental behaviours – is there a link? Results from a Norwegian survey Economics Bulletin, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Steffen Kallbekken, 2011 A choice experiment on fuel taxation and earmarking in Norway Ecological Economics, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2011 Public acceptance for environmental taxes: Self-interest, environmental and distributional concerns Energy Policy, EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Asbjørn Aaheim, Håkon Sælen, Anita Wreford, 2010 Modelling economic impacts and adaptation to extreme events: Insights from European case studies Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, EN
- Asbjørn Aaheim, Bård Romstad, Håkon Sælen, 2010 Assessment of risks for adaptation to climate change: the case of land-slides Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, EN
- Kristina Alnes, Håkon Sælen, Harald Francke Lund, Bård Lahn, Kristin Eine, Knut H. Alfsen, Bernhard W. Schiessl, 2021 Climate assessments of six key Norwegian sectors EN
- Borgar Aamaas, Marianne Tronstad Lund, Håkon Sælen, Asbjørn Aaheim, 2019 Assessment of carbon effects from two projects from the Rainforest Foundation Norway’s programme portfolio EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2015 Predicting Paris: Forecasting key outcomes from COP 21 using an expert survey EN
- Harro van Asselt, Håkon Sælen, Pieter Pauw, 2015 Assessment and Review under a 2015 Climate Change Agreement. EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2014 Equity and spectrum of mitigation commitments in the 2015 agreement EN
- Harro van Asselt, Håkon Sælen, Pieter Pauw, 2014 From Lima to Paris, and Beyond: Options for Ex Ante Assessment of Intended Nationally Determined Contributions under the UNFCCC EN
Part of a book/report
- Håkon Sælen, 2014 The effect of enforcement in the presence of strong reciprocity: an application of agent-based modelling EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Asbjørn Aaheim, Zbigniew W. Kundzewicz, Nicola Lugeri, Marco Moriondo, Håkon Sælen, Marco Bindi, 2010 A Risk Management Approach for Assessing Adaptation to Changing Flood and Drought Risks in Europe EN