Telefon: +47 22 00 47 51 /
Meteorologist with special interest in atmospheric particles
Maria uses global climate models to understand how particles and other short-lived forcers in the atmosphere impact the climate system. Her research focuses on the Arctic region, and the radiative forcing and climate response of black carbon aerosols. Maria holds a PhD in Atmospheric Sciences from the University of Oslo. She is currently a guest researcher at NASA GISS, New York.
- The role of short-lived climate forcers in the global climate regime This project will provide a comprehensive assessment of the potential of mitigation of Short-Lived Climate Forcers (SLCFs) in the emerging global climate regime.
- BlackArc (Black carbon and Arctic climate) How do Black Carbon (BC) aerosols influence Arctic climate change? The outcome of the ‘BlackArc’ project is to reduce the uncertainty in modelling BC and to better constrain the climate impact of BC with an Arctic focus.
Impact of absorbing Aerosols on Radiative forcing in the European Arctic
The climate impact of absorbing aerosols, such as black carbon particles originating from fossil fuel combustion or biomass burning, mineral dust and volcanic ash, is still very poorly understood especially its role in the atmosphere of polar regions.
- Cryosphere - Atmosphere interactions in changing Arctic climate Objectives: To identify and quantify the major processes controlling Arctic warming and related feedback mechanisms, outline strategies to mitigate Arctic warming, and develop Nordic Earth System modelling. The focus is on short-lived climate forcers (SLCF), including natural and anthropogenic aerosols.
Publikasjoner og formidling ved CICERO
Gå til: Tidsskriftspublikasjon
- Bjørn Hallvard Samset, Maria Sand, Chris J. Smith, Susanne E. Bauer, Piers M. Forster, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Scott McManus Osprey, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, 2018 Climate Impacts From a Removal of Anthropogenic Aerosol Emissions Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, EN
- Maria Sand, Bjørn Hallvard Samset, Yves Balkanski, Susanne Bauer, Nicolas Bellouin, Terje K. Berntsen, Huisheng Bian, Mian Chin, Thomas Diehl, Richard Easter, Steve J. Ghan, Trond Iversen, Alf Kirkevåg, Jean-Francois Lamarque, Guangxing Lin, Xiaohong Liu, Gan Luo, Gunnar Myhre, Twan P.C. Van Noije, Joyce E. Penner, M Schulz, Øyvind Seland, Ragnhild Bieltvedt Skeie, Philip Stier, Toshihiko Takemura, Kostas Tsigaridis, Fangqun Yu, Kai Zhang, Hua Zhang, 2017 Aerosols at the poles: an AeroCom Phase II multi-model evaluation Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Copernicus, EN
- R Mahmood, Knut von Salzen, M. Flanner, Maria Sand, Joakim Langner, Hailong Wang, Lin Huang, 2016 Seasonality of global and Arctic black carbon processes in the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme models Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, American Geophysical Union (AGU), EN
- Maria Sand, Terje K. Berntsen, K. von Salzen, Mark G. Flanner, Joakim Langner, David G. Victor, 2015 Response of Arctic temperature to changes in emissions of short-lived climate forcers Nature Climate Change, EN
- Maria Sand, Trond Iversen, Patrik Bohlinger, Alf Kirkevåg, Ivar A. Seierstad, Øyvind Seland, Asgeir Sorteberg, 2015 A standardised global climate model study showing unique properties for the climate response to black carbon aerosols Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, EN