Phone: +47 22 00 47 72 /
I am an economist studying climate economics and policy, focusing on energy and climate. Currently my projects include climate finance (choice of finance instruments for climate projects in developing countries), governance of biomass energy combined with carbon capture and storage, and design of climate policy after the Paris Agreement.
- Politically Feasible Renewable Energy Development: The Role of Public Acceptance. The over-arching task of this project is to study the political feasibility of the low carbon energy policy transition initiated by the EU. In order to adopt and implement efficient policies at the regional, national and local level, public acceptance for policy change will be crucial.
- Global Impacts: How to estimate and use environmental footprints The first part of this project will build on the large body of quantitative analyses to provide a synthesis of the methodological and analytical basis for environmental footprints. This first part will be short and focused, drawing on existing material. The second part of this project will describe the state-of-the-art in terms of the challenges and opportunities of consumption-based approaches to environmental policy. We will give particular attention to the policy implications (usefulness, utility, appropriateness, etc), and draw on the available economic and policy literature.
- Greening investments in the face of climate risk To what degree can the emerging green bond market catalyse investment for low-carbon and climate-resilient solutions?
- Second opinions on green bonds CICERO second opinions are independent, research-based evaluations of green bond investment frameworks to determine their environmental robustness.
- How to attract private climate finance in India In this project, CICERO and TERI, the Indian Energy and Resources Institute, are examining bilateral climate finance flows from Norway to India, among other countries, to identify how public funds can be used to leverage private climate finance.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2019 Governance of bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS): accounting, rewarding and the Paris agreement Climate Policy, EN
- Jorge Hernan Garcia-Lopez, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2019 Carbon leakage from geological storage sites: Implications for carbon trading Energy Policy, EN
- Jorge Hernan Garcia-Lopez, Todd Cherry, Steffen Kallbekken, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2016 Willingness to accept local wind energy development: Does the compensation mechanism matter? Energy Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Jorge Hernan Garcia-Lopez, Todd Cherry, Steffen Kallbekken, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2016 Willingness to accept local wind energy development: Does the compensation mechanism matter? Energy Policy, EN
- Chris D. Jones, SJ Davis, P. Friedlingstein, T Gasser, Glen Peters, Joeri Rogelj, DP van Vuuren, JG Canadell, Annette Cowie, RB Jackson, Matthias Jonas, Elmar Kriegler, Emma Littleton, Jason A. Lowe, Jennifer Milne, Gyami Shrestha, P Smith, Asbjørn Torvanger, A. Wiltshire, 2016 Simulating the Earth system response to negative emissions Environmental Research Letters, EN
- Patrick Smith, Steven J Davis, Felix Creutzig, Sabine Fuss, Jan Minx, Benoit Gabrielle, Etsushi Kato, Robert B Jackson, Annette Cowie, Elmar Kriegler, Detlef P. van Vuuren, Joeri Rogelj, Philippe Ciais, Jennifer Milne, Josep G. Canadell, David McCollum, Glen Peters, Robbie Andrew, Volker Krey, Gyami Shrestha, Pierre Friedlingstein, Thomas Gasser, Arnulf Grubler, Wolfrang K. Heidug, Matthias Jonas, Chris D. Jones, Florian Kraxner, Emma Littleton, Jason Lowe, Josè Roberto Moreira, Nebojsa Nakicenovic, Michael Obersteiner, Anand Patwardhan, Mathis L. Rogner, E Rubin, Ayyoob Sharifi, Asbjørn Torvanger, Yyoshiki Yamagata, Jae Edmonds, Cho Yongsung, 2016 Biophysical and economic limits to negative CO2 emissions Nature Climate Change, EN
- Christa Clapp, Knut H. Alfsen, Asbjørn Torvanger, Harald Francke Lund, 2015 Influence of climate science on financial decisions Nature Climate Change, EN
- Todd Cherry, Jorge Hernan Garcia-Lopez, Steffen Kallbekken, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2014 The development and deployment of low-carbon energy technologies: The role of economic interests and cultural worldviews on public support Energy Policy, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Manish K. Shrivastava, Nimisha Pandey, Silje H. Tørnblad, 2013 A two-track CDM: improved incentives for sustainable development and offset production Climate Policy, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Marianne Tronstad Lund, Nathan Appleton Rive, 2013 Carbon capture and storage deployment rates: needs and feasibility Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Alv-Arne Grimstad, Erik Gøsta Brun Lindeberg, Nathan Appleton Rive, Kristin Rypdal, Ragnhild Bieltvedt Skeie, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Petter Tollefsen, 2012 Quality of geological CO2 storage to avoid jeopardizing climate targets Climatic Change, EN
- Carolyn Fischer, Asbjørn Torvanger, Manish K. Shrivastava, Thomas Sterner, Peter Stigson, 2012 How Should Support for Climate-Friendly Technologies Be Designed? Ambio, Springer i samarbeid med Kungl. Vetenskapsakademien, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Steffen Kallbekken, Petter Tollefsen, 2012 Oil price scenarios and climate policy: welfare effects of including transportation in the EU emissions trading system Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, EN
- Jana Poplsteinova Jakobsen, Amy Brunsvold, Jo Husebye, Erik Skontorp Hognes, Tore Myhrvold, P. Friis-Hansen, E A Hektor, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2011 Comprehensive assessment of CCS chains–Consistent and transparent methodology Energy Procedia, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, J Meadowcroft, 2011 The political economy of technology support: Making decisions about carbon capture and storage and low carbon energy technologies Global Environmental Change, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2009 Kan karbonhåndtering redde klimaet? Samfunnsøkonomen, Samfunnsøkonomenes Forening, NO
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2009 Kan karbonhandtering redde klimaet? Samfunnsøkonomen, Samfunnsøkonomenes Forening, NN
- Petter Tollefsen, Kristin Rypdal, Asbjørn Torvanger, Nathan Rive, 2009 Air pollution policies in Europe: efficiency gains from integrating climate effects with damage costs to health and crops Environmental Science and Policy, EN
- Nathan Appleton Rive, Asbjørn Torvanger, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, 2006 Climate agreements based on responsibility for global warming: Periodic updating, policy choices, and regional costs Global Environmental Change, EN
- Kristin Rypdal, Terje K. Berntsen, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Kristin Aunan, Asbjørn Torvanger, Frode Stordal, Jozef M Pacyna, Lynn P. Nygaard, 2005 Tropospheric ozone and aerosols in climate agreements: scientific and political challenges Environmental Science and Policy, EN
- Lasse Ringius, Asbjørn Torvanger, Bjart J Holtsmark, 1998 Can multi-criteria rules fairly distribute climate burdens?: OECD results from three burden sharing rules Energy Policy, EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Kristina Alnes, Alexander Oliver Berg, Iulia Marginean, 2019 Climate science for the financial sector: Managing climate risk in Norway and Sweden EN
- Tamiksha Singh, Aanchal Pruthi, Asbjørn Torvanger, Sophie Dejonckheere, 2019 Approaches to Integrate Climate Change in Agricultural Finance - Case Study Analysis EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Sophie Dejonckheere, Tamiksha Singh, Aanchal Pruthi, 2019 The state of tracking financial flows under the Paris Agreement -A primer for policy makers in India EN
- Knut H. Alfsen, Kristina Alnes, Alexander Oliver Berg, Christa Clapp, Sophie Dejonckheere, Harald Francke Lund, Bernhard W. Schiessl, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2018 CICERO MILESTONES 2018. A practitioner's perspective on the Green Bond Market EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Bård Lahn, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2017 Klimavalg 2017 NO
- Kamleshan Pillay, Stine Aakre, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2017 Mobilizing Adaptation Finance in Developing Countries EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Christian Bjørnæs, Harald Francke Lund, Bob van Oort, 2016 Visjoner av lavkarbon Norge NB
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Patrick Narbel, Kamleshan Pillay, Christa Clapp, 2016 Instruments to incentivize private climate finance for developing countries EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2016 A core reporting framework to strengthen implementation of the Paris Agreement. EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Kamleshan Pillay, 2016 Norway’s role in supporting green growth in developing countries EN
- Harald Francke Lund, Christa Clapp, Asbjørn Torvanger, Jane Wilkinson, Barbara Buchner, Martin Stadelmann, Federico Mazza, Padraig Oliver, Dario Abramskiehn, 2015 Background Report on Long-Term Climate Finance EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Patric Andre Narbel, Harald Francke Lund, 2015 Estimating mobilized private climate finance for developing countries -A Norwegian pilot study EN
- Ole Løfsnes, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2014 Livssyklusanalyse av klimaeffekten av elektrifisering av Utsira NO
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Torgeir Ericson, 2013 Fører elektrifisering av plattformer på norsk sokkel til reduserte CO2-utslepp? NN
- Sebastian Teir, Jens Hetland, Erik Gøsta Brun Lindeberg, Asbjørn Torvanger, Katarina Buhr, Tiina Koljonen, Jenny Gode, Kristine Husøy Onarheim, Andreas Tjernshaugen, Antti Arasto, Marcus Liljeberg, Antti Lehtilä, Lauri Kujanpää, Matti Nieminen, 2010 Potential for carbon capture and Storage - CCS in the Nordic region EN
- Linda Innbjør, Helene Amundsen, Gunnar S. Eskeland, Grete K. Hovelsrud, Asbjørn Torvanger, 2008 Klimautvikling og avgiftspolitikk: Rapport om forventede klimaendringer i Nordområdene med vekt på Finnmark EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Michelle Twena, Bård Romstad, 2004 Climate change impacts on agricultural productivity in Norway EN
Part of a book/report
- Asbjørn Torvanger, Michelle Twena, Bård Romstad, 2015 Climate change impacts on agricultural productivity in Norway EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2002 Carbon capture and storage, regulatory framework EN
- Asbjørn Torvanger, 2002 Carbon Capture and Storage, Regulatory Framework EN
- Investors increasingly aware of climate risk Together with the Norwegian mission to the EU, CICERO hosted a well-attended debate in Brussels on the private sector's contribution to climate finance.
- Putting numbers on Norwegian climate finance flows In 2014, Norwegian public support for climate action in developing countries amounted to 1 billion USD. This is the conclusion of a report written by CICERO for the Norwegian Ministry of Climate and Environment. Yet insufficient reporting systems make it difficult to track the private sector contribution.
- CICERO Shades of Green CICERO Second Opinions are graded dark green, medium green and light green to offer investors better insight in the environmental quality of green bonds.